The potato diet is a short-term diet promising a rapid weight loss.
It is, therefore, understandable, the doubts surrounding a diet that involves eating nothing but potatoes only.
How does this work?
The potato diet lasts around three to five days, where you are allowed to eat potatoes as a main diet. This diet is extremely restrictive and lacks certain nutrients, and therefore, may lead to unhealthy eating behaviours such as binging and purging.
There is a widespread claim that the diet helps lose up to half a kilo a day.
Potato diet, however, is not a new concept. It dates back to 1849 but was popularized only in 2016.
Potato diet recipes
Whatever the dish may be, all of it centres around potatoes. And here are our five favourite potato diet recipes:
- 3-4 medium-sized gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 finely chopped white onions
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced green cabbage
- 2 cups finely diced spinach
- 4-5 large finely diced white mushrooms
- One small red pepper finely diced
- One can of diced and drained tomatoes
- 2 cups Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
- 1 T Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional) and
- dash of smoked paprika
- First, line the bottom of a square pan, with a layer of potatoes
- Keep lining up till the sides of the pan.
- Combine the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Then start making layers with potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots, kale/spinach, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes like in Lasagna.
- Season and add salt and pepper after each layer.
- There should be three layers of potatoes in the dish
- After the second layer put in Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
- Then lay the last layer of potatoes
- And spread the rest of the Alfredo spread over it
- Sprinkle a little seasoning over the top along with crushed red pepper if you like.
- Cover and bake at 425 degrees for 35 min
- Remove cover
- Then bake another 25-35 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven
- Let cool for about 10 min and
- Finally, slice and serve
2- Potato Puffs
In addition to being an easy recipe to make, it is also one of the least time-consuming dishes.
- 1.5 cups mashed potatoes and
- 3 Nutritional Yeast
- Begin by boiling the potatoes until thoroughly cooked
- Peel and mash the potatoes
- Then mix the mashed potatoes with nutritional yeast
- Next, add additional seasonings if you like.
- Roll the mix into balls
- Then slightly flatten in the palm of your hand.
- Place in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 15-20 min until the outside is brown.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Here is an article about The 10 Most Nutritious Nightshade Fruits and Vegetables
3- Potato Chips
Potato chips are another effortless diet to make. On the one hand, there is the taste, and on the other hand, it is very easy to make. In conclusion, it is a win-win taste. They are entirely oil-free and wholly delicious.
- Potatoes and
- Salt and vinegar to taste
- First, wash and peel the potatoes
- Slice with a mandolin
- Then sprinkle a little salt and vinegar on them.
- Next, cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes.
The next two recipes are for a baked potato diet.
4- Cheeseburger with stuffed baked potatoes
It is an easy dinner recipe and easily customizable
- 4 medium potatoes
- ½ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 8 ounces cooked ground beef, warmed
- ½ cup shredded lettuce and
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup sliced red onion and
- 4 teaspoons shredded cheese
- Wash the potatoes
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork.
- Microwave on Medium for 20 minutes, turning once or twice, until soft.
- Transfer to a clean cutting board and let cool.
- Make a lengthwise cut to open the potato, but don’t cut all the way through.
- Pinch the ends to expose the flesh.
- Top each potato with some mayonnaise, beef, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and cheese. Serve warm.
5- Easy Loaded Baked Potatoes
It is a spin on a classic side dish resulting in both flavorful and super simple meal.
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 package frozen broccoli in the cheese sauce and
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- First, wash and prick potatoes with a fork
- Second, microwave pricked potatoes on high for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender
- Then turn over once.
- Next, using a knife, cut an “x” at the top of each potato.
- Pinch on the ends of each potato.
- Microwave broccoli
- Put cottage cheese over the potatoes
- Finally, place the broccoli over the potatoes
Read this article about Ten Best Keto Snacks to Eat for Everyone
Sweet potato diet
Another popular diet for weight loss is the sweet potato diet. The sweet potato diet requires the incorporation of sweet potatoes into your diet. In addition to the sweet potatoes, there are other fat-burning foods like yogurt and veggies.
It may be curious to know how sweet potatoes help lose weight, and the following is how:
· Low In Calories
Sweet potatoes are low in calories and as a result, there is a creation of a negative energy balance, meaning more energy gets spent than we consume.
· High In Dietary Fiber
Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fiber. These fibers form a gel-like substance in your gut, which causes you to feel full, thus, preventing overeating. Also, it creates a coat around fat molecules, and prevent its absorption, increases the number of stool passage and promotes good gut bacteria. In conclusion, all of those promote weight loss.
· Energy-Rich Good Carbs
It provides enough carbohydrate derived energy to carry on the daily chores.
· Low Glycemic Index
The glycemic index measures the glucose spike caused by a particular food after consumption. Hence, a diet with a very high glycemic index poses a chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
Despite its sweetness, sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index. As a result, glucose spike after eating sweet potatoes isn’t high.
· High Water Content
Dehydration slows down the body metabolism. Consuming sweet potatoes helps rehydrate the body, promotes metabolism, and prevents the body from accumulating fat. In addition to all these, sweet potatoes also balance internal pH and flush toxins out.
· Antioxidant Property
Moreover, sweet potatoes contain substances called carotenoids or anthocyanins, which are antioxidants.
Besides these, sweet potatoes also contain copper/zinc superoxide dismutase and catalase, which are also antioxidants.
Antioxidants prevent DNA damage by harmful oxygen radicals. Thus, in short, sweet potatoes are a powerhouse of substances enhancing weight loss.